President Trump dropped a bombshell early Saturday when he announced U.S. strikes against Venezuela and the capture of the country’s strongman leader, Nicolás Maduro. At a news conference at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort later in the day, the president detailed a plan for the U.S. to “run” Venezuela until a transition takes place, even as Venezuelan…
President Trump on Saturday said Venezuelan opposition leader María Corina Machado “doesn’t have the support” within Venezuela to be its next leader after U.S. troops captured Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro, and said she was not consulted prior to the operation. “I think it would be very tough for her to be the leader,” Trump said…
President Trump sent shockwaves throughout the world when the U.S. successfully carried out an operation to capture Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro. The large scale operation took place in the early hours of Saturday and involved more than 150 U.S. aircraft. Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, were swiftly charged in the Southern District of New York and…
Read more
The Trump administration’s escalating clash with the judiciary over immigration, spending priorities and more is turning previously unknown judges like James Boasberg and Paula Xinis into household names. The judiciary has been a notable battleground in President Trump’s first year back in office, particularly given Congress’s compliance with his vision. More than 500 legal challenges…
Read more
Major airlines canceled hundreds of flights across the eastern Caribbean region and warned passengers that the disruptions could continue for days.
Venezuelan Vice President Delcy Rodríguez on Saturday said President Nicolás Maduro is their country’s only president, several hours after U.S. troops captured him and his wife to face charges in New York. “There is only one president in Venezuela, and his name is Nicolas Maduro Moros,” Rodriguez said in a televised address to Venezuelans hours…
“We’ve just been completely lied to,” Rep. Seth Moulton said of the Trump administration’s military strike on Venezuela.
It is unclear how Trump plans to oversee Venezuela.
The defense secretary delivered a series of bravado-loaded comments during a press conference Saturday.
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, face cocaine importation conspiracy charges and other counts in an indictment newly unsealed Saturday after their capture. The four-count superseding indictment, which also charges other Venezuelan government officials and allies, alleges Maduro leveraged government power to protect and promote vast criminal conduct — from drug trafficking to terrorism — for the benefit of himself…
Read more
The Washington Post editorial board on Saturday lauded President Trump’s capture of embattled Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro, calling the military operation “a major victory for American interests.” “Millions of people around the world, most of all in Venezuela, are celebrating the downfall of the dictator Nicolás Maduro,” the board wrote. “President Donald Trump’s decision to capture him…
Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Saturday warned Cuba’s leaders that “I’d be concerned” following the United States’ capture of Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro during an attack earlier in the day. Rubio spoke to reporters at a press conference at President Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida. The secretary accused Cuba of being “run by incompetent,…
Republican lawmakers’ reactions to President Trump’s arrest and indictment of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro on Saturday spanned the spectrum of the GOP. Trump’s stalwart allies and Latin American hawks cheered the shocking operation while the president’s few critics in the party rebuked the military action. The near unanimity among Republicans stood in stark contrast to…
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) labeled the Trump administration’s decision to capture Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro “reckless,” absent a plan for the South American country or congressional authorization. “Let me be clear: Nicolás Maduro is an illegitimate dictator,” Schumer said in a statement. “But launching military action without congressional authorization and without a credible…
Read more
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth on Saturday said Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro “f’d around and found out” following the leader’s capture amid U.S. strikes on the country’s capital Caracas. “Nicolás Maduro had his chance,” Hegseth said at a press conference with Trump at the president’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida. “Just like Iran had their chance until…
President Donald Trump is “pushing our country toward an international crisis without valid reasons,” The New York Times editorial board wrote.
The president, who claimed to oppose involvement in “nation building,” also said the U.S. would “run” Venezuela for an indefinite period.
“We’re gonna run it, essentially,” President Donald Trump said during a news conference about the capture of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.
Former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) on Saturday called President Trump’s indictment of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro “hypocritical,” after Trump pardoned former Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernández last year following his conviction on drug charges. “If the President grounds his actions on the basis of drug trafficking charges, it is entirely hypocritical in light of…
A retired U.S. Air Force colonel questioned Secretary of State Marco Rubio’s assertion that the operation was carried out in the name of defending personnel.
President Trump said Saturday that the U.S. will “run” Venezuela until a transition takes place following the capture of the country’s President Nicholas Maduro. “We’re going to run the country until such time as we can do a safe, proper, and judicious transition,” Trump said during a news conference from his Mar-a-Lago resort. “We don’t…
The Trump administration informed the “Gang of Eight,” the top Republican and Democratic leaders of the Senate and House and the chairmen and ranking members of the Senate and House Intelligence Committees, of the operation against Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro only after it started, according to a source familiar with the matter. The administration didn’t…
Palantir has seen its portfolio of government contracts mushroom in President Trump’s second term, but the company is also facing growing scrutiny over its work with the administration, particularly its assistance with controversial immigration efforts. The software company, which focuses on data analytics, is not unfamiliar with controversy, given long-standing accusations that its tools are…
The U.S. will be “very strongly involved” in Venezuela’s oil industry, President Trump said Saturday after the capture of Venezuelan leader Nicolás Maduro. Asked about the future of the country’s oil industry on Fox News’s “Fox & Friends”, Trump said, “Well, I see that we’re going to be very strongly involved in it.” “We have…
Read more
Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.) on Saturday questioned the legality of the Trump administration’s strikes on Venezuela, which ended with the capture of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and his wife Cilia Flores. “If this action were constitutionally sound, the Attorney General wouldn’t be tweeting that they’ve arrested the President of a sovereign country and his wife…