At least 2 dead, 17 injured in Minneapolis school shooting

A chronicle of Donald Trump's Crimes or Allegations

At least 2 dead, 17 injured in Minneapolis school shooting

LIVE Video feed from The Associated Press

At least two children were killed and two more are in critical condition in a shooting at a Catholic school in Minneapolis, officials said.

Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O’Hara said 17 people were injured in the shooting, including 14 children. The shooter also killed himself, police said.

The children who were killed were 8 years old and 10 years old, police said.

O’Hara said the shooter opened fire through a window aiming toward children sitting at pews during a morning Mass.

“This was a deliberate act of violence against innocent children and other people worshiping,” he said.

O’Hara said the shooter eventually entered the premises with three weapons, a rifle, pistol and shotgun. He said the suspect was in his early 20s.

Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey (D), during an emotional press conference at noon EDT, said “don’t just say this is about thoughts and prayers right now.”

“This was the first week of school, they were in a church. These were kids who should be learning with other kids, they should be able to go to school or church without the risk of violence,” he said.

Victims were being treated at Children’s Minnesota, Hennepin County Medical Center and M Health Fairview Masonic Children’s Hospital. 

The chief emergency medical officer at Hennepin said at least four children were in critical condition and required an operating room.

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz wrote in a social media post shortly after 10 a.m. that he had been briefed on the shooting.

“I’m praying for our kids and teachers whose first week of school was marred by this horrific act of violence,” he said.

Police said there was no active threat to the community at 10:29 a.m. EDT.

“The shooter is contained. Stay away from the area to allow emergency personnel to help victims – W. 54th Street between Lyndale and Nicollet Ave,” the city of Minneapolis wrote in a post on the social platform X.

A student at Annunciation Catholic School told The Associated Press that classes were being evacuated.

The school — which serves prekindergarten through eighth grade — had an all-school Mass scheduled at 8:15 a.m. local time, according to the school website.

President Trump said he had been briefed on the incident, writing a Truth Social post about the shooting shortly before 11 a.m. EDT.

“I have been fully briefed on the tragic shooting in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The FBI quickly responded and they are on the scene. The White House will continue to monitor this terrible situation. Please join me in praying for everyone involved!”

The White House said Trump spoke with Walz later in the morning.

The Department of Homeland Security also said it was monitoring the “horrific” incident.

“We are in communication with our interagency partners, and will share more information as soon as it becomes available,” Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem wrote on X. 

“I am praying for the victims of this heinous attack and their families.”

Minnesota Rep. Ilhan Omar (D) also shared her condolences for the violent event. 

“I am beyond heartbroken over the tragic news of the shooting at Annunciation Catholic School in Minneapolis. I am praying for all the families impacted by this horrific tragedy,” she wrote on X.

“I will continue to closely monitor the situation and provide updates,” Omar added.

The incident comes after a Tuesday mass shooting in Minneapolis in which one person was killed and six others were injured.

Updated at 12:47 a.m. EDT